FAQ: Veteran Services Agency

Q: Is there employment assistance available to veterans?

A: The New York State Department of Labor has a Veteran Specialist to assist out-of-work veterans find employment.  The Veteran Specialist can be reached at: 845-338-4696 x3006. The VA does not operate job placement services, but does have employment training programs for eligible veterans.  Visit the Veteran Services Agency office to learn more.

Q: Is there assistance for homeless veterans?

A: Yes.  Programs vary according to the situation.  Visit the Veteran Services Agency office to discuss options.

Q: Does the VA pay for veteran funerals and burials?

A: The VA pays a funeral expense stipend for certain eligible veterans.  Speak to a Service Officer about eligibility. The VA pays for burials in National Cemeteries.  The County pays for burials in the County Veteran Cemetery.  Burials in private cemeteries are paid by the veteran/family. The VA provides a grave marker for most veterans at no cost.  VA Application 40-1330 can be completed at the funeral home or the Veteran Services Agency office. 

Q: Is there a Veteran Cemetery in Ulster County?

A: Yes.  See the FAQ section on this topic.

Q: How can I get military honors for a deceased veteran?

A: Funeral directors are normally familiar with and best suited to make these arrangements.  Honor guards are normally provided by area Veteran Service Posts.  Active duty honor guards can be requested but are subject to availability and location restrictions.

Q: Does the VA provide nursing home care or assisted living care for veterans?

A: Eligibility for nursing home care is complex, so it is best to contact the Veteran Services Agency office and speak with a Service Officer.

Q: Are National Guard and Reservists eligible for VA benefits?

A: Only if they have been activated for Federal military duty (mobilized), other than basic training.

Q: Can I get a home loan or mortgage from the VA?

A: The VA does not originate mortgages.  It guarantees mortgages of eligible veterans. Veterans must obtain a VA Letter of Eligibility and then take it to their local bank or mortgage company.  Visit the Veteran Services Agency office for assistance in obtaining eligibility.

Q: Can I order other records from my military service?

A: Yes, visit the Veteran Services Agency office for assistance in ordering personnel records, record of assignments, and other records.

Q: I lost or never got the medals/ribbons I earned in service. How can I get them?

A: Visit the Veterans Services Agency office for assistance in ordering medals/ribbons.  The SF-180 order form must be signed by the veteran or next of kin.