FAQ: Personnel

Q: How do I find out if my exam has been cancelled due to the weather?

A: Listen to radio stations 92.1 FM, 92.7 FM, 93.3 FM, 94.3 FM, 96.1 FM, 97.7 FM, 99.3 FM, 100.1 FM, 101.5 FM, 1490 AM, 1370 AM (or visit their websites) or call Ulster County Community College at: 845-687-5000 and listen to the recording.

Q: Do I have to be an Ulster County resident to take a civil service exam?

A: Generally no, but a few examinations require residency in Ulster County.

Q: How do I find my rank on an eligible list?

A: Make a request in writing to 244 Fair Street, 5th Floor, Kingston, NY 12401 or by email to ucpers[at]co.ulster.ny[dot]us .  The request must include the examination title.  You will receive a response within 1 week.

Q: How long will it take to receive my test score on a civil service examination?

A: Approximately 90 days.

Q: What should I do if I cannot appear for my performance exam?

A: Write a letter to the Personnel Department at 244 Fair Street, 5th Floor, Kingston, NY 12401 asking for it to be rescheduled to the next performance exam.

Q: What if I have another event scheduled on the day I am supposed to take my written exam?

A: Ulster County has an Alternate Test Date Policy. In order to be scheduled for an alternate test date, you must meet certain criteria. Contact the office at 845-340-3540 for more information.

Q: How long will my name remain on the eligible list?

A: It depends on the list.  Eligible lists are established for a minimum of one year and may be extended up to a maximum of four years. There are some eligible lists that are established for a period of two years.

Q: What must I do to notify your department that my address has changed?

A: You must write a letter to the Personnel Department at 244 Fair Street, 5th Floor, Kingston, NY 12401 indicating that your address has changed. The letter must include your new address, the examinations you have applied for and/or the eligible lists on which your name currently appears. For Police titles, you must provide a voter registration card from the Board of Elections showing your new address.

Q: Can I apply for an examination which requires a college education if I don’t have my college transcripts?

A: Yes. But you must send the Personnel Department your college transcripts by the date indicated on the examination announcement.

Q: How will I know when and where my civil service examination will be held?

A: You will receive an admittance letter which will provide information including the date, time, and place of your examination. This letter also provides useful information such as what you should bring and whether or not you are allowed to use a calculator. Admittance letters are sent approximately two weeks prior to an examination. If you do not receive an admittance letter within four days of the examination, contact the office at 845-340-3550.