FAQ: Health

Q: How do I apply for a permit to open a new restaurant?

A: You must notify the Department of your intent to open the restaurant, submit a drawing of the kitchen and ensure that it meets all of the requirements for a commercial kitchen.  The permits, fees and inspections required to open a new food service facility will depend upon the type and size of the facility.  For specific requirements, call the Environmental Health Services Division of the Health Department at (845) 340-3010.

Q: How do I obtain a copy of a Death Certificate?

A: Death Certificates are filed in the town in which the death occurred.  Contact the appropriate Town Clerk’s office for the Certificate.

Q: How long does it take to get a copy of the autopsy report?

A: On average it takes up to 90 days to receive a final autopsy report. It may take longer if extensive tests are needed due to extenuating circumstances.

Q: How do I obtain a copy of an autopsy report?

A:   Complete and submit the Autopsy Affidavit Form

Q: When can I expect to receive a response to my FOIL request?

A: The Health Department acknowledges the request, grants access to records, and/or denies access in writing, or within five business days of receipt of a request. The acknowledgement of the request includes an approximate date within twenty business days when it can be anticipated that a request will be granted or denied. However, if it is known that circumstances prevent the Health Department from granting access within twenty business days, or if the Health Department cannot grant access by the approximate date given and needs more than twenty business days to grant access, it will provide a written explanation of its inability to do so and a specific date by which it will grant access. That date must be reasonable in consideration of the circumstances of the request.

Q: How do I request information from the Health Department, other than from the Medical Examiner?

A: Requests should be mailed, faxed, emailed or hand-delivered to the Ulster County Department of Health FOIL Compliance Officer at 239 Golden Hill Lane, Kingston, NY 12401. If you wish to send a request via fax or email, please contact the FOIL Compliance Officer at (845)340-3009.

Q: Where can I find information on specific communicable diseases?

A: For information regarding communicable diseases, please contact the Health Department’s Communicable Disease Program at (845) 340-3090. Additional information may be obtained through the Center for Disease Control at www.cdc.gov.

Q: Does the Health Department provide AIDS Testing?

A: No, but HIV testing and counseling are provided. Call (845) 340-3090

Q: Does the Health Department provide Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD) testing and treatment?

A: Yes. The Health Department provides medical testing and treatment for STDs. The clinic is held at 239 Golden Hill Lane, Kingston, N.Y. 12401 every Monday (excluding holidays), Contact (845) 340-3090 for more information.  For clinic schedules, click here (link Clinic Schedule)

Q: How do I apply for the Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Program?

A: WIC provides food vouchers and nutrition counseling to income eligible women who are pregnant and/or nursing and for infants and children less than 5 years of age. Call (845) 340-3965 for an appointment.