Kingston, NY – The combination of hot temperatures and high humidity has caused the National Weather Service to issue a heat advisory from noon to 8 PM today. Heat indices may reach 100 degrees and it is likely that these conditions will continue for the remainder of the week, with Wednesday as the most oppressive day.
County Executive Mike Hein suggested, “If you are without air conditioning in your home, please consider visiting public spaces like shopping centers and libraries. In addition, Family of Woodstock, the Lloyd Town Hall, the Wawarsing Town Hall and Ulster County Community Action in Kingston are available as cooling stations.”
- Family of Woodstock at 16 Rock City Rd in Woodstock from 9:30 AM to 9:30 PM
- LloydTown Hall at 12 Church Street in Highland
- WawarsingTown Hall at 108 Canal Street in Ellenville from noon to 4 PM, except Wednesday when it will be open from 2 – 4 PM
- Ulster County Community Action’s new community room at 70 Lindsley Avenue in Kingston from 8:30-4:30 PM.
Following are some basic tips for remaining cool:
- Drink plenty of fluids
- stay in air conditioned spaces
- stay out of the sun when at all possible
- wear light and loose clothing
- try to avoid strenuous work in the afternoon hours
- check on neighbors and the elderly
- do not leave pets in your car
Links provided by the New York State Department of Health contain additional tips:
http://www.health.ny.gov/publications/1243.pdf and in Spanish: